Pages

Tuesday, April 27, 2010

His Father's Child

The reason my Father loves me is that I lay down my life-only to take it up again. No one takes it from me, but I lay it down of my own accord
I and my Father are one....

There would have been many kids on that playground, he wouldn't have been any different, same looks, same dressing, all playing together. One thing would have probably made him stand out. Where others would have said they wanted to be doctors, lawyers, teachers, carpenters, fishermen; he would have said something quite different. he would have said all he wanted to be was his father's child. Who wants that? I mean we all grow up, grow up to make our decisions in life. You can't just be a child forever. Yet that was the guiding principle of the boy Jesus till his death.
At 12 years of age, not many are concerned with their father's business. The few who are will be seen as not wanting to have a childhood, a time to just play around and do nothing. But he was different. That was his primary concern.

Having grown up, being a man at the moment (although some may disagree). I look at the life of a common man (namely me). And I look back at the life of a seemingly common child, and I cannot help but wonder. For most of us, we are asked what we want to be in life and we blag. We say all manner of things and roles we would like to be, which most times we have no idea about and the funny thing is that we actually believe it. I want to be an engineer(when we don't know maths), a doctor (we absolutely hate biology), e.t.c. just because it sounds cool. Oh I wanted to be an aeronautical engineer by the way. Thought working for NASA would be cool (pity my parents translated it to aviation). Leaving the long talk aside, I just wonder, how many of us want what our parents want? Its either we are imposing our will on them or they are imposing their will on us. How many of us could have walked up to our parents and said, dad/mum, I know whatever it is you want for me, I want it too. What do you think your folks reaction would be?

We know God's will for us, for those of us that do, how many actually accept it? For those that don't how many can confidently come out and say, God I don't know what you have planned for me today, but whatever it is, I am okay with it.
Maybe Jesus was too young, but then the bible says, remember your creator in the days of your youth not after you are too old to care about anything else anymore. So what does that mean? Jesus even as a human child, all through his life, till he died, was walking scripture. What mattered to him most was not what people thought about him, he was very humble and respectful to his parents, but he was bold enough to stand for God when it mattered most, even as a little child.
I and my Father are one, the Child said, one not in flesh, but one in spirit and in mind, as the Father commanded, so He did, He walked, thought and taught as His Father wanted. He is a living testimony of what can be, He is His Father's child.
Psalm 91:1-2 says
He who dwells in the shelter of the Most High will rest in the shadow of the Almighty. I will say [b] of the LORD, "He is my refuge and my fortress, my God, in whom I trust."

There are a lot of promises after the first two verses, but the part I love the most are the final verses.

Psalm 91:14-16

"Because he loves me," says the LORD, "I will rescue him; I will protect him, for he acknowledges my name. He will call upon me, and I will answer him; I will be with him in trouble, I will deliver him and honor him. With long life will I satisfy him and show him my salvation."

In summary, because you are your Father's child you are covered.
It starts from the days of your youth, it starts now.

No comments: