Pages

Friday, December 25, 2009

His Birthday... Even a manger will do.

A man and a woman, heavy with child, searching for a place to lay their head for the night. Funny, would have thought that a man like Joseph would at least have had a family home to stay in, but he didn't. The bible says they searched long and hard that night, but they were turned away at every door. Was it cold that night? I don't know, was it raining? I have no idea. I do know this for sure, that they were turned away at every door. They got to one however, where they were offered not a room in the place, but a space in the stables. A place which Joseph took gladly so Mary could lay her head. Trying to be as comfortable as they could, that was where our Savior was born.
It is another year, another Christmas. A time to be of good cheer, a time to be with friends and loved ones, a time for Santa, sales and shopping, a time to share gifts, party and have fun, a time for all you can eat. A time people generally come together to celebrate Christmas.
Now the question is this, if it was my birthday, what would I want? Gifts? Oh yes, but then what can you give someone who already has it all? What do you have to offer? Coming to mind this day is a verse I love, a verse made more important on this day chosen to be His birthday
Romans 12:1
I beseech you therefore, brethren, by the mercies of God, that ye present your bodies a living sacrifice, holy, acceptable unto God, which is your reasonable service

For the people who go to church and the ones that don't I ask the same question, what do you hold in mind all through today? A time of laughter? A time to celebrate? A time to share gifts? What is it?
At a time where Santa Claus is more widely recognized than the one for whom we really celebrate, there is another verse that does come to mind from scripture
Rev 3:20
Behold, I stand at the door, and knock: if any man hear my voice, and open the door, I will come in to him, and will sup with him, and he with me.

Why these 2 verses? To celebrate a birthday, two things are needed. First the Celebrant, secondly a gift for Him. Many have gone through this day, every year not giving room for any and I wonder... How different are we from the innkeepers back then who refused to give room for Joseph?
People back in the day, at least Jesus got room in a stable, at least he got gifts of gold, frankincense and myrrh. Today we leave him outside to be born in the cold, with no gifts whatsoever and we say we celebrate Christmas?
At this time and age where Santa is more recognized than baby Jesus, I say this, even a manger will do, just let Him in. Give space for Him in your heart. I will also say this however, that if the people of those days knew what you know now about my Savior and God, many and I mean many would have gladly given up their rooms and even whole inns for his birth.

Merry Christmas people...
As always, have a good one.

No comments: