Pages

Thursday, April 29, 2010

Closer....

"A man of many companions may come to ruin but there is a friend who sticks closer than a brother."

Have you ever known someone, who mattered more to you than anyone else, who mattered so much to you that a day spent not seeing or hearing from the person just did not feel complete. Am not talking of a husband/wife, not talking of a boyfriend/girlfriend. I am talking of a friend.
True friendships are rare, hard to find and so very difficult to forget. I use the word true because there are a lot of relationships that can be confused as friendships. When push comes to shove however, these relationships break and fall apart, under pressure, from outside and within, that person just doesn't fit the bill. With true friendship, distance makes you cherish not forget the relationship, time makes the bond stronger, conflict brings you closer together. Friend takes priority over anything or anyone else, a friend that sticks closer than a brother/sister. A friend that knows you better, a lot better than anyone else or even your friend. A lovely relationship indeed.
There was friendship like that in the bible, the relationship between Jonathan and David, a friendship so deep that Jonathan had no troubles about giving up his princely duties for David, was willing to risk his life for David. David cared so much for his friend that he took priority over the women of that time. That is something rare to find, so rare indeed that when David became king, he looked for something of his friend that he could cherish (Mephibosheth).

Now I look at that relationship and think of my relationship not with men, but with God. Oh yes I mean my relationship with God. I want to get to a place where God takes priority over anything else in my life, a place where if I do not speak or hear from Him each day, my heart would not just want to break but be literally breaking. There was a kind of relationship that Enoch had with God that made God take him straight up to heaven before he died, the kind of relationship God had with Moses that made him take up his body and bury him, David was called the man after God's own heart. Daniel did not ask God to close up the lions' mouth, ELijah had given up, God fed him and encouraged him. What more can you ask for? You are down and you have God, God himself to encourage you. Moses actually saw the back of God. These are men, men like you, men like me. Are the ladies being left out? Oh no, because the one thing I would like to ask is this, who remained at the cross by Jesus when all others had abandoned Him? Who saw him first after He was risen?

Why am I saying all this? There is a song I have been listening to for some time now, over and over again. It is a song I know, but a song that just fits at the moment. I am in a new place, a new experience and after the initial period where one flounders, oh yes I should still be in that stage, but all of a sudden a lot of things don't matter anymore, God does. Will share some of the lines and just say why they fit and make so much sense to me at the moment.

Closer - William McDowell
Into your arms
I’m drawing near again
To dwell with you
It’s my only heart’s desire
It’s my only heart’s desire

All I can do
Is fall on my knees and cry
Cleanse me with fire
And purify my heart

Draw me close
Closer than before
Closer than I’ve ever been


If you were the prodigal child, returning to your father's house, what would matter most to you? Would it just be gaining back what you lost? Or would it be gaining back what you lost and more? Or would it just be about getting into the house.
Oh yes you used to pray twice a day before, you used to give worship so sweet, it turned the stone faced man at the back to jelly, when you return, would it just be about coming to the place where you feel okay with every thing around you? The answer for me is no, I want a relationship where time apart makes me want Him more, a relationship where what matters more at all times is Him. I want a relationship where I get closer to Him between the times we meet, all the time. I want to get closer to Him daily, closer than I was before, where each time I get closer than I have ever been. A relationship where what matters most to me, isn't about getting to heaven, but about that relationship between me and Him.





Thy kingdom come Lord on earth as it is in heaven.

No comments: