Pages

Wednesday, January 21, 2009

Who Am I to You??

Behold, I stand at the door, and knock: if any man hear my voice, and open the door, I will come in to him, and will sup with him, and he with me. (Revelations 3:20)

It is a new year and I don't know how may people all over the world are giving it another shot, another try at whatever sphere of life they are in. As christians I don't know what your past life has been like and I dont know if you are giving God a second chance to do something in your life.
Something led me to ask this question first this year, a self check, a question Jesus asked his disciples so many years ago. Who do you say I am? Who is God to you? (Matthew 16:13-17).

-Is he the one you run to when there are problems in life? And the one you abandon right after?
-Is he the you serve just because of the promises of blessings and the promise of eternal life?
-Is he the one you serve just because you want protection from the evil in the world today?
-Is he the one you serve because of the testimonies you hear in church each sunday, the miracles you see done on tv or on the internet?
-Is he the God of your parents, your pastor, your church leaders?
-Is he the one you spend some time with in the morning or at evening just because you were brought up that way, and it has become tradition to have it that way?

Who am I to You?

You will see if you can read from verse 1 that Jesus asked that question of his disciples just after the Pharisees and Saduccees asked him from a sign from heaven. I dont know what that says to you but this is what it says to me: Church leaders of those times had just come to have a chat with Him and had left and he was warning them to be careful of their messages, their belief, their doctrine. After they left, after a while, He asked his disciples two questions.
The first question "Who do men say I am?" the men of those times, the world of those times, whatever they said that was not important to Him. The same way in these times, people have different perceptions of God, who he is, what he is. And the truth is this, all that don't matter one bit. Not to you, not to me. The second question mattered more to Jesus. "But who do you say I am?" not who the pope says he is, nor the archbishop nor any other great men of God; T.D. Jakes, Bishop Adeboye, so many names, names of great men of God, not who they say God is. That is God for them, God based on their encounter with him. What of your own encounter with him?? In the time of Samuel, Samuel served his God not the God of Eli. In the days of Elijah, his God. The God of Abraham, Isaac and Jacob, also their God. The I am that I am to Moses his God, Emannuel to Isaiah, he could be Elshaddai, Elohim to you.

Who is He to you?

You can't open your door to the one you know not. You can't be searching for the God of all the great men of God and have Him, your personal experience of Him pass you by. You can't love one you don't know or seek who you don't know. All faith all hope is in vain if you don't know your God. Seek his face diligently as your Father, your Saviour not as the Jesus who Paul preached, or the Jesus preached in the churches.
I dont know who this is touching out there I dont know who is reading this message, but Jesus said this, as the greatest commandment. You shall love the Lord, YOUR GOD, with all your soul, all your strength and all your mind(Luke 10:27). In no way did he state the God of anyone else.

The year has started already, where are you with God?? Where is he in you??


My Cry, My Prayer
Every step I take away from you,
Is like a step away from peace,
From joy, from hope, from life.
My spirit dries up within me,
I earnestly desire to hear your voice,
Your touch, your warmth, your peace.
I am nothing without you,
I long for nothing without you,
You are my family, my joy, my all, my life
You are the reason I am all that I am
The reason for all I can ever be
All that I would ever want to be
Like a lost sheep away from his shepherd,
Like a deer panteth after water,
That Lord is how much I long for you.

1 comment:

Somze said...

I did not know this part of you.

This is good.