Pages

Wednesday, August 12, 2009

My choice: To take up the cross and follow

There has been a though on my mind for a while now, the thought that I need to give my life to God. I thought about the numerous altar calls I have seen and even the ones I have taken part in; and looking back then and thinking of now, I wonder; when the word was said "you need to give your life to christ", How many people (and I mean the guy at the altar and everyone else responding) actually think about the implications of the call? It is so easy to go on my knees and ask for forgiveness from God, when everything seems fine and rosy, so easy to come out in front of crowds and have a man (any man of God) lay his hands on me and pray for me, I shed all the contrite tears I can muster and then I go right back to the way I lived initially, before I fell into the mess. Sound familiar?? I have said so many times before that I would try not to make the same mistakes I made before, do the same things I did but not let it get "too far"... But so often, so many times even when we find ourselves not falling into that same mess, we find ourselves falling into another one and then another one... And almost all the time we find ourselves at that same place on our knees looking for just another fix; a fix to the problems around us at that time.
At the end we have a people very much like you and I, very much like the children of Israel of old. Always wanting to do their will, not understanding what it means to be a chosen people, a chosen generation. Not understanding what it means to "give your life to Christ". We hear it, some of us have heard it so many times that it has become meaningless to us, some of us have spoken it so many times that it has lost its meaning as well...
Taking it literally saying the words, Lord I give my life to you should have a deep meaning. Saying Lord my life as I know it is yours, all I am, my thoughts, my words, my deeds. A lot of times this is not the case (atleast for me) mainly because I struggle to take up the life I have laid down for His will. I have thought about this for a while like I have said and the one thing that has been in my head since is this... "You need to give your life to Christ" I re-read Psalm 27 and after a very strange week where I had some really low times and some quite happy ones I looked at Psalm 27 v 4 and I understood why David was a man after God's heart...

It says

One thing I ask of the LORD,
this is what I seek:
that I may dwell in the house of the LORD
all the days of my life,
to gaze upon the beauty of the LORD
and to seek him in his temple.

The whole Psalm says what he expects as a result of the only thing He did seek after. As a man, I have laid my life down and picked it up so many times to do as I pleased when I willed and the one man that had a right to do that (Jesus Christ) didn't. So what right do I have?? The bible says He was obedient even unto death. Obedient unto death... And because of that He has been placed above every other. Obedience that can only come from giving your life to God.
God sees, He knows and He is a merciful and understanding God, He sent a Son who gave a command; leave all and take up your cross and follow me.

A word that has been in my mind and in my heart. Give your life to God; a God fully capable of taking care of you.

Leave all the drama behind, all the things worrying you aside just for a moment and focus on this; focus on Him. What it costs doesn't matter because He is more than able to handle it.

A song for all to listen to...



My choice is to give my life to Him,
not just in times of need,
not just in times of rejoicing but always.
Every single day, for better or worse
In trials and tribulations,
Through my fears and tears...
Till death brings us together again
Even closer than this walk through life

Stay blessed..

No comments: