Pages

Tuesday, August 4, 2009

The will of God!!!

Well chosen title, not just for the words but for the meaning behind the words, we all know the Lord's prayer; "Thy will be done on earth as it is in heaven". i when we do say those lines do we really think about it, or deep down do we see it as us eventually doing the will of God when we get to heaven?
Its a new month, a time where I take some things into consideration, things coming between my will and God's will. I and the father are one Jesus said, one in all things, thoughts, words and deeds. I am not quite there yet, in fact am so far from there at the moment that it is amazing. Today am going back to John 17, I shared it yesterday but there is so much in it that points to the title that was lived in the life of our Savior that I can't just leave it right now, and probably never ever.
That whole chapter ( I don't know if y'all read it, but it did show me total conformity to the will of God; and I mean total) talked about two things, God's will and purpose in sending His Son than to earth; to die for our sins? Yes no doubt, but there is some more. ..

- Given power to give eternal life to as many as were given Him(i.e Jesus) vs 2-3. Eternal life is the knowledge of God and the one He sent to us, His Son. I checked out what the word knowledge means and it means, to get to know and understand.
- Manifesting God's name to the men given to HIm from the world vs (6, 7 & 8) knowing they are God's and them knowing that all things from tge Son are truly of God (Let your light so shine before men that they may see your good works and glorify your Father in heaven).
- Praying for the ones given to Him, not praying for the world vs 9 (now I have wondered what this could mean and I am still wondering, I am not quite lost yet) because they are the Father's.
- Verse 11-21, talks about a lot of things, Jesus praying for his disciples and then for us, all the ones that believed in God through them, and yes even through us, and with all the prayer for deliverance from evil and all, the one thing that did strike me ws the prayer for unity. Vs 22 says that they may be one as the Son and the Father are one, in perfect unity (reminds me the church being one body with different members making up the different parts and Christ being the head). The reason for being one is in vs 23, that with us being perfect in one, the world may know that Jesus was truly sent by God and that God does love us. Look around today at the world, cos I do a lot of times and I do not see unity and am not even talking about the church as a whole am talking about individual churches.

Now looking through all this, like I said shows the will of God not just for Jesus while here on earth but for us, followers of Christ, Christians. To share the gospel, and share eternal life with the world, to shine out as a light, to pray for the ones given us, and the ones given us will be the world, cos the last commandment given to the apostles and from the apostles to us was simple, go into the world and preach the gospel, manifesting the glory of God through love everywhere we go. Everything is aptly summarized in vs 25-26

25 "Righteous Father, though the world does not know you, I know you, and they know that you have sent me. 26 I have made you known to them, and will continue to make you known in order that the love you have for me may be in them and that I myself may be in them."

And will continue to make you known He said, does that stop at His leaving us in the world?? No because He said He would send His comforter, the Holy Spirit, to be indwelling in us even till this day, so no the prayer is still in effect till this day.

I cannot leave here without something in direct reference to the title now and it is something I borrowed from todays devotional, a very direct quote that speaks for itself...



"Oh, the bravery of God in trusting us! Do you say, "But He has been unwise to choose me, because there is nothing good in me and I have no value"? That is exactly why He chose you. As long as you think that you are of value to Him He cannot choose you, because you have purposes of your own to serve. But if you will allow Him to take you to the end of your own self-sufficiency, then He can choose you to go with Him "to Jerusalem" ( Luke 18:31 ). And that will mean the fulfillment of purposes which He does not discuss with you."


It is a new month I said and it is a time when I do check myself, and the knowledge that things are not quite finished between me and God is at the very least humbling. I am a W.I.P. and truthfully as I learn everyday it is the process that counts.

As the potter works with clay, the blacksmith works with iron, so God works with us. If so much care and thoughtfulness were not put into the craftsmanship we would not end up with the Father.
The thing now is to remember that you are the clay and not the potter, you are the piece of iron and not the blacksmith.

Finally as food for thought, I will share this thought with you, we all say we are children of God, heirs of Abraham and all but then if you read John 3:16 (no need to quote it), He sent His only begotten Son that whosoever believes... His only begotten Son to die for our sins. As a child of God, what does that make you?? Take up your cross and follow me Jesus said, your cross, not your blessings, not the favor and all. I will stop here for now, like I said it is food for thought, story for another day.

No comments: