Pages

Friday, August 7, 2009

My choice: What would it cost me??

It is a question that every now and then crosses the minds of believers; both old and new. It is a question that has crossed mine very often, and while I may want to admit that each time i thought of it I said "Here I am , send me", truth be told is that the thought used to freak me out. I have read about leaving family, all that you know; the job, the comfort of life. I have read about carrying your cross to follow; and truly cross does not mean anything good... I came across a reminder most recently; and an answer to the question and I thought it would be a good thing to write out my changed view on the cost of service.

At a time when we are being thought about being prosperous as a christian, about being the head and not the tail, and the many other things being thrown at us these days I can only help but wonder, what am I supposed to hold on to?? On one hand I have constant reminders that the road is not an easy one, on the other I have that all I have to do is follow some steps and all will be well. Confusing right? Well yes it was till I remembered different people in the bible...

  • A 75 year old man, called away from al he knew, to a place he did not know at all, a land God said He would show him. Several years later that same man older but not any wiser, chose the wilderness as a home over a plush green land (now how many of us would do that?? Slim, very slim chance I would)
  • A young boy, favourite of his father, hated by his brother, sold into slavery, slandered and if that was not enough, forgotten as well in prison.
  • A young lady, chosen for her beauty, stood in the face of death in support for her people.
  • A young boy anointed to be king, lived as a fugitive because he refused to take a stand for what could be seen as rightfully his.
  • Another young man, refusing long life and prosperity and opting instead for the wisdom to rule a nation.
  • A man, refusing to give up his beliefs; standing for what he believed even at the threat of death, at a time when a whole country was obedient to the law.

Am talking of Abraham, Joseph, Esther, David, Solomon and Daniel. Just some examples in the bible. People that were willing to give up family, an established life, comfort, a well paying job, things that where rightfully theirs and even their life. Am talking about a group of 12 men (later reduced to 11) who left all they knew, all they had at the call of our Savior to follow and serve Him. And I am like wow!!! Wow! Wow! Wow! That is huge, can I do that?? If it cost them all that then what would it cost me? What has it cost you??

I read this passage a while ago and I just think this could be a very good time to share it..

Luke 14:25-end

25Large crowds were traveling with Jesus, and turning to them he said: 26"If anyone comes to me and does not hate his father and mother, his wife and children, his brothers and sisters—yes, even his own life—he cannot be my disciple. 27And anyone who does not carry his cross and follow me cannot be my disciple.

28"Suppose one of you wants to build a tower. Will he not first sit down and estimate the cost to see if he has enough money to complete it? 29For if he lays the foundation and is not able to finish it, everyone who sees it will ridicule him, 30saying, 'This fellow began to build and was not able to finish.'

31"Or suppose a king is about to go to war against another king. Will he not first sit down and consider whether he is able with ten thousand men to oppose the one coming against him with twenty thousand? 32If he is not able, he will send a delegation while the other is still a long way off and will ask for terms of peace. 33In the same way, any of you who does not give up everything he has cannot be my disciple.

34"Salt is good, but if it loses its saltiness, how can it be made salty again? 35It is fit neither for the soil nor for the manure pile; it is thrown out.
"He who has ears to hear, let him hear."

Before you make the choice to serve, it is a good thing to realize the price and the cost of your choice; and that cost is everything, not the riches, the comfort or the family but you yourself, all you are. Make the choice to willingly follow, willing obey, and finally with much prayer and all your trust; stay in the Lord.

The one thing I failed to realize while freaking it out is this;

"The choice to serve could cost me everything,
But it can never cost more than my Lord and Savior can handle."

All the examples given above where not of people who thought of the cost of whatever decisions they made but people who realized the cost of not making that decision, people who realized that the God that brought them so far was more than able to keep and sustain them. That is enough for me and that should be enough for you.

Not the promises of blessings nor the fear of persecution but the knowledge that His grace is sufficient for you, and that truly He will never put on you more than you can bear.

"Thy will be done Lord, on earth as it is in Heaven. Daily"

No comments: